First, I would like to talk about a short story called The Fine Art of Sighing. The first paragraph did such an excellent job of putting into words and describing someone sighing. For example, in the story it says "a kettle hisses. A balloon deflates. Your shoulders fall like two ripe pears." The way the author described a sigh in that passage was creative and unconventional. I also connected with this story with ease because it talks about the persons mother starring out of the kitchen window sighing. I can picture my mom doing the same exact thing. It's funny because I always tell my mom she sighs too much, and that makes her sigh. I guess having three boys is something to sigh about.
The other story that I want to talk about is Things To Do Today. The form of the story is very unusual for a short story. It is set up in a way to look like a list, hence the title. Each of the numbers are very abstract in meaning. For example, here are a couple of numbers from the list: 1. thaw the wounded, 26. make the beautiful go to work, and 70. control the urge to farm. Every single number on the list seems to be random. However, there must be a meaning to all of these being in a list. In terms of language, there is various repetition of action verbs like motivate, force, grope, nudge, practice, etc. I hope we go over this short story in class because I really can't find a meaning behind this list.
The last short story that I would like to talk about is the one we already talked about in class - Total Eclipse. I liked this story because seeing an eclipse in person would a magical thing, like seeing the Northern Lights at the poles. My favorite part of the story was when the author described the eclipse as it happened. "the sky's blue was deepening, but there was no darkness. The sun was a wide crescent, like a segment of tangerine." My favorite part about reading a story is the ability to visualize what the author is vividly describing.
No comments:
Post a Comment