For this blog response I have decided to talk about some of the short stories in the first short stories packet. I liked the Mystery Stories by Sharon Krinsky because some of them made me smile. The Talking Cat really made me laugh because I can picture in my mind a very proper cat with a tuxedo and a top hat like the monopoly man, extending his paw to a person and them both having an instantaneous relationship. The author made me use my imagination to visualize the scene that she created. Another one of the short stories I was intrigued by was The Record Store. This story baffled me because I have no idea what the hell is going on. However, they did start to make sense after you told the class that these short stories are about dreams. Dreams can be really crazy, not having any structure, and these short stories seem to as well.
I also read Morning News and got the sense that it was a continuous thought after a man has been told that he has only a limited time to live. I can relate to the feeling because I know that when I get shocking news my mind starts going a hundred miles per hour, thinking about all scenarios and possibilities. I didn't understand the ending though. I mean, the result from him getting the bad news is to go buy a television? wouldn't watching TV be the last thing you would want to do after being told your going to die soon?
The last story i want to talk about is one of stories titled Internal. This story is about "interns" performing a task to evaluate the psyche of their boss' brother. When, in fact, they are evaluating another intern. This story kind of reminds me of the recent movie that came out called Shutter Island because the movie is about a private investigator that goes to an island to investigate a mental institute and in the end the investigator has been a schizophrenia patient at the institute the whole time.
No comments:
Post a Comment