For this weeks blog response I would like to finish talking about To After That. I finished reading it and by the end of the story I was exhausted. I felt like I had just read a story within a story within another story. It was very confusing to me why the author wrote the book that way. But after listening to you talk about metafiction in class it started to make sense a little bit more. Gladman's book is like nothing I have read before. It is literally a story about a writer writing another story. To be honest, it was tough to get through the whole thing because it seems to be lacking a plot. I guess if I was a writer myself I would enjoy this more because I would be able to relate to the process of writing a story and what it takes to write one. I'm sure it is an exhausting experience to put that much emotion and dedication into your work. It's just that I don't really understand this style of writing.
Gladman's writing seems to be affected most by the location where she is writing (concrete city, the park, and the flat city she moved to) and the personal relationships with the people she is involved with during the time of the writing. These two factors play a big role in any type of career whether it's being an author or any other profession.
Lastly, I would like to talk about the Goldman section "one plus one equals a Mercedes Benz". I really liked this reading because Goldman is explaining that when writing, think outside the box. When I write about myself I tend to keep saying "I do this" and "I am this", which is informative but boring and dull. Instead, Goldman says to write about who you really are. For example: "I am the heat of the sun, the whisper of the fleeting wind, the pigments of yellow, orange, and red of seasons change." I really took a great deal out of this reading.
- Jeff Loos
Crtw 201
No comments:
Post a Comment