Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blog Response #4

Reading through the Blood Dazzler i noticed that there are many different emotions going on throughout the poems. One of the first things I noticed just by glancing through each poem is the predominant use of the word "God". This gives me a strong visual because I can picture people seeing Katrina as an "end all" event in which the first person the victims looked to for guidance was god. The second emotion i felt from reading some of the poems was helplessness. For example, in the Tankas poem, stanza two, a mother states "I have three children, but only two arms. He falls and barely splashes." I can only imagine the emotions running through this mothers body as her son falls into Katrina's grasp.

I also like the poem titled "Superdome" because i remember when the people of New Orleans had to abandon their flooded homes to go to the superdome for shelter. Hundreds upon hundreds of unfortunate victims of Katrina were crammed in a place meant for an entertainment venue. Hunger and uncleanliness were to of the main points i felt from the writer of this poem. The author of the poem described the experience as overflowing toilets, babies going hungry, and uneasy comfort. This poem can make even the most unfortunate people feel like kings and queens.

The last poem that I want to discuss from Blood Dazzler is called "Won't be but a minute". The poem gave me a feel for how some people did not think the storm was going to be that bad and it was just going to pass on. Like the author said "We gon' be back home soon this thing pass over. Luther B gon' watch the place while we gone." This makes me believe that some of the people involved thought that this was not as bad as it turned out to be. I'm sure this was part of the reason why so many people lost their lives.

1 comment: